Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Fall Fruition


Some things take a long time to come about.

I started upcycling furniture quite by accident. I couldn't find a coffee table I liked, and in browsing internet pictures, I happened across a picture like this.

A little wild, I know, but I loved the vintage vibe. And I found a similar table on Craigslist and started my learning journey on the coffee table we still have and use and climb on daily, and in the process I started messing around with other pieces of furniture:


But it didn't come with a hexagon end table. They are hard to find, apparently. I drove all the way out to Anderson one day to look at one, only to discover that it was molded plastic and not wood. I came across plenty of others that were too plain, or just too pricey for me to spring for. So I was ecstatic to finally snag this little pair at an auction recently...


I wanted something with plenty of detail and ornate design that would stand out with all of the glazing goodness I had planned. So, finally, three years after my original inspiration, I finally have my vintage end table.


In peacock blue, of course. Put on your surprised face. 




Its twin is going to a college friend who now lives in Florida. There is nothing better than sending off a dearly-loved piece to a friend. It makes all of the time and effort even more meaningful.


The fall afternoon was so bright out that it's turning these pictures a little brighter than is natural. The peacock blue is a tad more sedate in person.







 I've always loved the way Jeff over at Facelift Furniture  reimagines vintage pieces. One of my earliest inspirations was seeing how he took a rag-tag collection of nine mismatched vintage end tables and documented his process of giving them each a new life.




 I learned many of my early-on processes through tips from his blog, and his e-book on upcycling is an excellent, straightforward manual for anyone looking for a little help to get started. And that's not a paid endorsement--it's just because I like his stuff and I'm thankful for what I was able to learn online from him.





These pieces have the greatest storage space for hiding toys away in the living room. And the original hardware is just peachy.

Molly approves:




Here we are, all in place. The best part of this picture was that it made me find a board book and half a graham cracker that were lost under the couch that I hadn't noticed until I started taking the picture. 


I'm extending jadite to the mantel this fall. It's hard not to. It's a disease. 


I don't know what this plant is called. I call it gold-leaf. The bottom side of the leaves are gold, so of course, I use it for all my decorating. And it blooms with the most amazing scent. Someone with botanical sense may enlighten me. 

And there you have it. My end table fancy has come to fruition. I am at peace...

Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment