Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Family Lovelies


This past year, we (I use that term extremely loosely, as my contributions were highly limited) cleaned out my paternal grandparents' amazing historic home in preparation to sell. They've reached another stage in their lives of needing more attentive care, so the monumental task of going through family heirlooms and decades of pack-ratted junk of questionable value took a while.

In the terrifying basement, we came across this woebegone little desk. It had, in its glory days, belonged to one of my aunts. Years of neglect and moisture damage had left it to be passed over by most eyes.



I didn't think the original top would be able to be salvaged...

With it being a family piece, I wanted to keep it in the family. So when a cousin was looking for a nifty little number for her room, I showed her this jewel in the rough.

She needed something that would coordinate with her amazing bedding. I WANT:

http://www.zappos.com/echo-design-jaipur-comforter-set-queen

So this is what the little desk turned into, after extensive structural repair for the moisture damage:


As I started prepping the top to apply a new surface, I realized the original top might be able to be restored after all, which is always groovy. It came out pristine.


I kept the original hardware and matched it to her bedspread, and added a crystal knob to the top drawer that was devoid of a handle.



The desk itself was treated in a creamy white and then glazed with a gray tobacco glaze before being poly-coated. 



And, of course, fun paper for the drawers. That makes everything better when organizing, right?
(Doesn't work for me...)



I'm so happy this piece has a new lease on life while still being a part of the family. Here's to making old things new!


Thanks for stopping by!







No comments:

Post a Comment