Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

In Love

I'm in love with Depression-era furniture--wardrobes, waterfall dressers and vanities, and, most of all, buffets. So I've been on the lookout for the perfect weathered buffet for about a year. I wanted one that was in poor enough condition that I wouldn't mind painting over it.

This beauty came from Craigslist. We picked it up from a gorgeous old farmhouse in downtown Simpsonville.

I viciously sanded off the old, peeled veneer and applied a heavy primer coat...


And then fixed her up with two coats of my favorite shade of peacock blue. Seriously, who doesn't need a peacock blue antique buffet in their house? 


I always freak out at this stage of the restoration. The unglazed color is so bright and almost garish. But then the black glaze goes on...






The glaze tempers that brightness so beautifully. New hardware doesn't hurt, either. Finally, one of my must-have pieces scratched off the to-do list!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: