Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Of Babies and Buns


Here's a lovely set I did for a friend's new baby boy. I'd rather not say how long ago I started work on these pieces. At the time, I told her about my average two week turnaround time.

But then the morning sickness hit. Yes, that's an announcement.

And our basement flooded. Twice. Like inches deep. I had to redo the bottom parts of all the furniture I had been working on down in the basement. Thankfully, nothing was damaged beyond repair.

I kept getting violently ill when I tried to glaze. Apparently the new Bun doesn't like glaze.



My sweet friend was very understanding. More understanding than I would have been under the circumstances. Baby coming any day and no furniture? I still have 6 months left and already I'm stressing out...

This is what we started with:


Not that bad in the pics, except for the rather flowery hardware which was rather unsuitable for a boy's room. On closer inspection, the pretty white color was just gloppy primer over a very light laminate and birch. There were glops of paint streaked over the sides and tops, and most of the drawers had to be reglued. It was pretty sad...

But with days of sanding, gluing, clamping, more sanding, non-gloppy primer, a lovely SW Marshmallow paint, and a rich espresso glaze, I had something to work with. The new hardware added a more masculine feel to a rather feminine set.


I love the look of the modern hardware on these classic pieces--what do you think?




There was a mirror with this set, too. I was too tired after moving all these other pieces to drag that out for a pic. I'll blame it on the Bun--just like I do everything else these days...



Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment